Thursday, March 12, 2015

March 12: Slice of Life Challenge #SOLC 2015: 12/31


Ode to a Morning Cup

On Monday, I wait...push snooze--two times, close my eyes,
and pull the covers back over my head.

By Tuesday, darkness lingers, and I linger too. How can this time come--
so soon?

Wednesday! Hump day! A golden monster nudges me with his nose, licks my face and threatens to jump up...

Thursday, which is still not Friday, is the hardest of all--
I peek up at the diamond-shaped window, 
clouds crowd a small slip of a moon.

Is it not still night?

Is there no time to roll back?

And then, a sudden waft calls from the kitchen--

In my mind's eye, there it is--

My cup and my spoon.

The dog leaps up, and I leap up too.

My morning cup--
its smell, its warmth, its creamy goodness will perform its magic!

Its speaks in sensory details...

This day, with all its surprises, is waiting...

And later, 

a soft pillow will wait too!







Slice of Life Challenge: 
For the month of March, I'm participating in a daily writing challenge, blogging, and posting, and reading other teachers' blogs. This challenge was started by two writing teachers, and can be found at their blog each day: www.twowritingteachers.wordpress.com. Feel free to join me! It's a great way to keep story threading throughout your brain each day.

5 comments:

Melanie Meehan said...

Isn't it amazing how the smell of coffee really can lure us out of bed? This week seems extra hard to get up with the mornings back to being dark.

DarlaS said...

I'm a tea drinker but can't imagine starting the day without my usual 2 cups! Jen is all coffee and can usually be seen with it hand as she whisks into school in the mornings. Amazing how our hot beverages fuel our days! Great post.
Darla & Jen

Robin said...

You captured it so well! There is nothing like the smell and taste of the first cup of coffee in the morning, especially a morning when it's hard to wake up. Great sensory details in this piece!

jenb. said...

I resonated most with the snooze button... maybe I need to teach myself how to love a hot morning beverage. I have never understood, thus far in life. :)

Anonymous said...

Gael, this is SO perfect! Love it :) I haven't been able to enjoy my morning coffee for about 2 months now and the couple of times I gave in, I paid for it. I won't tell you why I can't drink it, but I REALLY miss it!